Oh Vietnam. Exotic, picturesque, delicious…you have so much to offer–but boy are you a tough cookie! Our non-stop series of shystery encounters really left a bad taste in our mouth, but in the process of putting these Vietnam blogs together, we found a soft spot in our heart for this complex country. The mystical islands of Ha Long Bay, an unforgettable New Year’s in Ta Phin, a magical full moon in Hoi An, the floating markets of the Mekong, delicious shrimp summer rolls…Vietnam’s got a lot going for it. Once you get past the commonly gruff exterior and learn to count your change thrice, you can see the beauty and the comedy in this crazy place. Here are some of the moment’s that made us laugh and say, “You know you’re in Vietnam when…”
– Electricians are really magicians with a day job.
– Everything looks cooler in a pointy hat.
– Canned chicken looks like something from a zombie buffet.
– Motors are dressed to impress.
– Penguins are the unanimous choice in trash receptacle design. (Watch out for the man-eating variety!)
– Motorbike helmets often resemble Yankees baseball hat or a Harris Tweed cap, and they offer about as much protection.
– Wooden beams and a stone bowl are the official KitchenAid mixer of Ta Phin.
– A garage is in the eye of the beholder.
– Foo is Foo-food and Fido is Fried-o! Eeek!
– Sidewalks are more commonly referred to by their proper name…parking lots.
– Bike tires + patio furniture + a heavy dose of resourcefulness and Grandma’s got herself a new wheelchair!
-“Fresh beer” goes for 20 cents a glass, the only catch is you have to fit in a plastic child’s chair to drink it
So which was the silliest, scariest, or most poignant You Know You’re In Vietnam? Leave a comment below!