They say Ecuador is four worlds in one….in a country the size of Colorado. The Galapagos Islands, Pacific Coast, Andes Mountains, and Amazon Jungle are all packed into this South American country making it one of the most stunning places we’ve ever been. Not only does its small size allow you to experience a ton of diverse places in a short amount of time, but Ecuador is super affordable, four hours from Miami, and uses the U.S. dollar to make it extra convenient. After a month here, we can confirm Ecuador holds up to the bold four-worlds claim and give it an extra nod for super-friendly people and adventure at every turn (intentional or not). We love Ecuador, which is all the more reason we need to give them a little razzing. You know you’re in Ecuador when…
– No matter the time of the year, the temperature only fluctuates few degrees, the sunset is within a few minutes each day, and you weigh a little less along the equator. Score!
– The country invents one of the most classic hat styles of all time…and Panama gets all the credit!
– A “vegetarian meal” just means a smaller portion of pork
– The greatest densities of volcanoes in the world has you checking the daily forecast for torrential ash, rock, and lava
– Humans and Galapagos Sea Lions live in total harmony…they even share park benches, boats, and beach towels
– There is something really funny about the trash cans
– A guinea pigs is no longer your pet, it’s what’s for dinner
– Traffic isn’t caused by rush hour, but front-end loaders clearing the day’s landslides
– When dogs are so fashionable in Cuenca, they strut the cat walk (Check that savvy model on the right, she can even tie her own shoes!)
– Marine iguanas can’t be found anywhere else on earth, but in the Galapagos you can hardly walk the beach without tripping on them
– You don’t end your hike at 16,000 feet above sea level, you start there
– A Coatimundi is a more likely pet in the Amazon than a poodle
– No matter what the ladies do, they always look beautiful