Angkor Wat is the impetus for nearly every visit to Cambodia, but stray a bit off the track and you will find the rest of the country equally mesmerizing. When entering by train, traveling by boat, and hitchhiking in anything that moves, we saw so much more to love. The country is rough around the edges to be certain, but the warmth and resilience of the people make it a place like no other. You know you’re in Cambodia when…
– Bicycles are one size fits all.
– Your GPS might say something like “Turn left, then head straight underneath the 1000 year-old temple.”
– If you have a few bottles of Coke, a shoe rack, old Absolut bottles filled with petrol, and some cigarettes…well…you’ve got yourself a gas station.
– Hiking out of bounds is seriously at your own risk.
– If you aren’t careful, you will be sold a Khmer scarf, a sleeve of Angkor Wat postcards, and marble Buddha before you even know what hit you.
– There are so many temples you make pharmacies out of the leftovers.
– Tree hugging takes on a whole new meaning.
– Your school bus is a motorcycle and the bus driver operates it in his flip-flops.
– A $1 foot massage comes with a complimentary back and shoulder massage.
– Depending on your mood, you can order your “Egg Children” deep-fried or simple boiled.
– Nothing goes to waste, including the left over cement bags which are turned into fashion accessories.
– Women wear patterned pajamas at all times of day, anywhere in town, and for all types of activities.
– Boat captains are looking younger and younger these days!
Have you ever been to Cambodia, did any of these bring you back or make you chuckle? Post your comments below!