You know you are in Bolivia when….
– Chewing coca leaves is more popular than gum (top)
– When the cities are typically 4,000 meters above sea level.
– When a religious holiday involves Mardis Gras style costumes, firecrackers at your feet, and a beer in every dancing grandma’s hand…at 10am
– When your bed has six alpaca blankets because no one has a heater.
– When you fuel your fire with dried local mosses and gasoline and lighting it nearly costs you your eyebrows.
– When you order grilled trout and it comes out only lightly fried.
– When people literally do not understand the concept of a credit card, let alone accept them.
– Bowler caps are more popular than baseball caps.
– Women are working in the fields in crushed velvet and sequin laden dresses (and bowler caps, of course).
– A day at the office (aka mine shaft) involves heaps of coca leaves, a headlamp, 192 proof liquor, no safety standards…and dynamite.
– There are more gold teeth grills than a rap video.
– You can take a bike ride from snow at 4,700 meters to tropical jungle at 1,000 meters ASL in a matter of 4 hours and only take your life in your hands 8 times.
– You hold the title of the World’s Deadliest Road at an average rate of 26 fatalities per year.