We’ve been to a dozen Latin countries but none have rhythm and joy quite like the Dominican Republic. The sounds of salsa, merengue, and bachata seem to come from every direction, and you can’t help but smile and shake your rump. With an abundance of good music and good rum, everything is more chilled out…spending the afternoon playing dominoes, strolling a gorgeous beach, throwing the baseball around, and nipping off a bottle of “medicinal” Mamajuana…the Dominican Republic knows how to have fun.
You know you’re in the Dominican Republic When…
– You get to claim the “Oldest City in the Americas” and that Columbus strutted your streets
– You might find yourself at an eco-lodge playing Tarzan
– You stop into the corner store (colmado) for a quick snack and wind up buying a bottle of Brugal Rum and dancing with your new BFFs…for the next four hours
– Baseball players are training for the MLB right out of the womb–or sooner!
– UberPool & LyftLine have nothing on these taxis. $.25 a passenger and this Nissan Sentra won’t leave until it has six paying passengers. (Note the lack of door panels for space savings.)
– Drinking a herbal rum punch is not only a good time, “It’s good for you, and makes you strong like bull!”
– Everybody loves to dance, and age or fashion sense do not limit your luck with the ladies
– Next to baseball, dominoes are the national past-time. Principe, draw from the boneyard and set your doublets!
– Saturday night family fun means heading to the boardwalk and letting your kids drive Power Wheels all over tarnation, while you drink Presidentes, and belt your favorite karaoke ballads
-People gamble on all things American (college basketball, pro football, the lotto in all major States, etc.) like it’s a Vegas weekend
– The beaches are so beautiful they are literally straight out of a Bacardi ad