- Luxury Travel
- Budget Travel
- Trip Coach
When we originally sketched out the HoneyTrek’s route, Malawi wasn’t even on our radar. But when you travel overland from Zambia to Mozambique a stop in Malawi is inevitable. Having spent a few weeks exploring the Big-5 Majete Wildlife Reserve, and literally soaking in the sights and sounds of Lake Malawi, we are so glad we got to experience the unique wildlife and the warmth of its people.
You know you are in Malawi when….
– You are called the “Warm Heart of Africa” because of the sheer volume of smiles on your citizens’ faces. (look no further than the above photo)
– A mzungu (Malawian for: “white person”) riding a bicycle through a fishing village will result in no less than 20 children simultaneously trying to help you steer and pedal.
– A local delicacy for people in the bush is fried termites, caught with a card-board box and a half filled bucket of water.
– You have over 1,000 species of cichlid fish, many of them incubating their babies inside their mouth.
– A lake occupies 26% of your entire country.
– There seem to be stars dotting the horizon, but in reality the twinkling lights are from the hundreds of fisherman, in their Dhows and dugout canoes, that work the lake from dusk till dawn.
– You can become addicted to a salty snack called Jiggies in just one bag. “Jiggies, once you pop (the MSG), you can’t stop!” Note: Pringles watch your back!
– Your chicken rides the bus for free if he sits quietly in your seat pocket.
– The Queen of England enjoys her MGTs so much she receives an annual order of Malawi Gin.(sshhhh…Don’t tell the Beefeaters)
Have you been to Malawi? Did we miss any gems?
2. Get the HoneyTrek Newsletter
4. Keep in touch on Facebook
5. Latest from @HoneyTrek
7. Popular Postsarchitecture beach best of biking boat chile City Guide city living culture elephant elephants festival fish fishing food friends glacier hike Hikes hitchhike homestay hotels in transit islands Jungle kayak lake motorbikes mountains natural wonders packing river road trip safari temple temples trek trekking Trip Coach trip planning Videos vineyards Water Adventures wine You Know You're In...